Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Eat, Pray, Love

So Mum & I went to see Julia Roberts in Eat, Pray, Love last weekend.  When I first moved out to the wilderness, more than one person suggested I read that book. And then chiro-sister got it for me for Xmas. Anyway, you know that line from Legally Blonde, where Reese Witherspoon dresses up for her first day of law school? And she says, "I totally look the part."  Well . . .

You can see Mum's reflection to the left. :-)

I'm wearing my Indian prayer beads and holding the Eat, Pray, Love bible in my hands. I walked in to the theatre, and Ticket Gal says, "Eat, Pray, Love?"  :-)  The movie was pretty authentic to the book, and the cinemetography is gorgeous. Mum & I were both hungry half-way thru Italy and starving at the end of Bali. [Let me splain: She spends 4 months in 3 countries; she eats in Italy, prays in India, and loves in Bali]. One of the lines from the movie that struck me was: You Americans know all about entertainment, but you don't know about pleasure.  Hmmm . . . .anyway, if you go, don't drag a guy to see it. It's definitely a chick flick. Unless he's a sensitive-new-age-burkenstock-wearing-guy. Just sayin'. And take something yummy with you so that you'll have something to eat while you're drooling over Julia's pasta.Preferably something sweet and decadent. And then go out to dinner to a nice little Italian place afterwards. No really, go after--it doesn't matter if you just ate yourself into a Thanksgiving food coma beforehand, trust me on this: you'll be hungry!

If you're a fan of the book, you'll enjoy the movie. I'll leave you with this quote from the book that ends the movie:
I've come to believe that there exists in the universe something I call "The Physics of the Quest"--a force of nature governed by laws as real as the laws of gravity or momentum. And the rule of Quest Physics maybe goes like this: "If you are brave enough to leave behind everything familiar and comforting (which can be anything from your house to your bitter old resentments) and set out on a truth-seeking journey (either externally or internally), and if you are truly willing to regard everything that happens to you on that journey as a clue, and if you accept everyone you meet along the way as a teacher, and if you are prepared--most of all--to face (and forgive) some very difficult realities about yourself . . . . then truth will not be withheld from you."


No comments: